Wednesday, March 25, 2009

"american-ness VS indian-ness"




The piece "Interpreter of Maladies" was probably my favorite reading we have had assigned so far this semester.  I liked this piece because it was so relatable- basically anyone can relate to this story in one way or another.  Everyone has their own heritage. I really enjoyed observing Twinkle's struggle between embracing her "indian-ness" and her "american-ness."  It had me asking myself "can a person be a true american while being a true indian at the same time?" It is a hard call- although I think with a certain amount of effort, the balance is possible.  I believe if Twinkle embraces both her Indian culture while still staying true to her "American-ness" she can find this balance.   Although, I think Sanjeev may have a harder time finding a balance such as this because of his negative attitude toward other cultures. 

America is such an interesting place because of the diversity between cultures.  I especially love meeting people with a strong sense of pride in their own heritage-  Do you embrace both your heritage while remaining true to your American-ness? Which do you feel closer to, why? 

No comments:

Post a Comment