Wednesday, February 25, 2009

film or text?


Today in class we viewed a clip based on the text Othello- we followed the viewing with a discussion of the pros and cons of film VS the actual text.  When I read a book and it comes out in a movie I usually dislike the movie because it is so different from what i imagined, although in this specific case, I really think i benefitted from seeing the film. It was really cool seeing the story put to action in a different way than i had imagined- I also thought the characters did a great job of expressing the emotion the scene. 



On a side note, SMC offered a free viewing of Twilight this past weekend, and i was super excited to go see it- although, after i saw it I was extremely disappointed - (with one exception: edward cullen) - I don't feel like the movie did the book justice at all. Although the characters seemed to be chosen well, i feel the story wasn't half as exciting on film as it was on paper.  I think this is interesting because I had the exact opposite reaction to Twilight on film than i did to Othello on film.  

What are your thoughts? Did you prefer the film over the text?

1 comment:

  1. I am the same way- i usually enjoy books over the movie because we are able to imagine things the way we want to- making them more appealing. When the movie does not do this it is disappointing. I do enjoy the movie O though!

    ReplyDelete